Monday, September 17, 2012

Un-feminist

For English essay discussion today, we did the only interesting question available. Whether women should/should not be exempted from National Service.

Out of the 3 of us, I was the only one who thought that we should not be exempted. And obviously majority wins. So the plan was to write down a whole list of reasons why we should be exempted, and then choose a few out of that whole list.

But guess what. The list got stuck at no.3.

1. Biologically disadvantaged
2. Loss of femininity
3. Okay I have no idea where this quote came from but apparently its legit "Women in the army are more likely to get raped by their male comrades than get killed in a battle".


Even those who don't want to go NS can only come up with these reasons. Call me a biased NCC person or whatever, but if NCC were a teaser of what the army is like, then there is really a lot a lot that one can gain from NS.

Judging from my parents' view of me being in NCC, I doubt I can ever get their support if I wanted to go to the army. But if it suddenly became compulsory for everybody within the next 3 years, I honestly wouldn't mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment